The Handmaid’s Tale Review

25330613

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

Summary:
The Handmaid’s Tale is a 1985 dystopian novel set in the Republic of Gilead, a totalitarian theocracy that has overthrown the United States government where women are no longer allowed to read or work. In an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived with and loved her husband, Luke; when she played with daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now.

Thoughts:
The Handmaid’s Tale is an engaging read from start to finish thanks in large part to Margaret Atwood’s distinct writing style. Through the eyes of Offred, Atwood envisions a future that is both disturbing and terrifyingly realistic. Every chapter had me on the edge of my seat, and I could hardly put it down in my eagerness to discover more about this world. As for its main character — perhaps because we never learn her real name —, Offred is someone whom I feel any woman can relate to, which makes the read all the more interesting.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a captivating read, but be ready to cringe and shudder at the brutality of this very possible future. It’s an unforgettable read, and it will make you view your own reality in a new light.

Reviewed by Carolina R.